Arwen is a
girl elven maid born on the Ides of March. She tries to be elegant and graceful but is mostly failing there. She is a poet, a Dao cultivator, a crazy doll girl, a witch, a trauma survivor, ever so slightly weeb-esque, and a pain in the backside — though she really doesn’t mean to be. She has no idea what she wants out of the future; she’s actually not even sure it exists. She has a lifelong passion for everything Middle-earth, a long-lived preoccupation with Heian Japan and traditional Japanese aesthetics, and will try her hand at almost all handicrafts under the sun, no matter how bad she is at them.
(Except knitting. That one crashed and burned like an annoyed Balrog, and how.)
Her current fandom obsessions are Tolkien and Pokémon games. There’s a study in opposites for you. Life’s just better with Clefairies. Maybe if Fëanor had a Clefairy to chill him out, none of this nonsense concerning those very shiny rocks would have occurred. And yes, she adores The Rings of Power — die mad about it.
She is very, very tired, over the whole talking in third person thing, and would still like another coffee, please.
- alias, apt to change: Arwen
- real name: oh, come on.
- epessë: Fíriel Olorindë
- nicknames: River, Kirin, Rin, Rinnie, Cassie, Misa, Kiki, K, September
- birthday: 15 March
- zodiac: Pisces sun, Capricorn moon, Gemini rising
- blood type: A+
- location: the September City, Queensland, AU
- hobby: dolls, static websites, journaling/smashbooking, crochet
- languages: English, Japanese, Korean, Welsh, Quenya
- passionate about: music, Tolkien’s legendarium, ocean conservation, etymology and linguistics
- favourite colour: sea blue, jacaranda purple
- favourite class: linguistics
- favourite foods: strawberries, nearly any fish…as long as it’s provided sustainably.
- despised food: green beans, carrots
- allergies: garlic (yes, seriously.)
- wants to visit: Kyoto, Byron Bay
- (bad) habit: playing with hair
- special skill: singing, calligraphy
- has trouble with: nerve pain, anxiety
- favourite gemstone: aquamarine, larimar, opal, tanzanite, iolite
- image song: “Gasoline”, Halsey
I’m still constructing a whole site about what music matters the most to me, but for the moment, my beloved noises are these:
Manic Street Preachers (for eternity; they stole the sun from my heart), U2, Suede, Bump of Chicken, Zard (RIP Izumi-oneesama, we miss you), Moody Blues, Tori Amos, Dar Williams, Olivia Lufkin, Rina Sawayama, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, the Beatles, Elvis Presley (biiiiiiite me), Birds of Tokyo, God is An Astronaut. Slowly getting into Spyair — blame my neechan. And finally, John Farnham is one of the single greatest vocalists in the world, if not the, and I will bloody FIGHT YOU on this hill.
A Crazed Girl
“THAT crazed girl improvising her music.
Her poetry, dancing upon the shore,
Her soul in division from itself
Climbing, falling She knew not where,
Hiding amid the cargo of a steamship,
Her knee-cap broken, that girl I declare
A beautiful lofty thing, or a thing
Heroically lost, heroically found.
No matter what disaster occurred
She stood in desperate music wound,
Wound, wound, and she made in her triumph
Where the bales and the baskets lay
No common intelligible sound
But sang, ‘O sea-starved, hungry sea”
— WB Yeats
“She is gone, but she used to be mine…”